Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Great Closet Update.

When we expanded our family, we never took into account exactly how much crap was involved with it.  I'm not talking about the literal crap...there's that too.  I'm talking about all of the STUFF.  My kid has so many toys that they're everywhere.  We have a tent in the middle of our living room for crying out loud.

Anyway, I have had enough.  I decided we (read: I) are redoing the spare room.  We got rid of the bed that we had in there because in 4 years we've probably had 2 people sleep over.  I then realized I need a place to put all of my craft stuff because working out of tupperwares and leaving things all over the living room and dining room was starting to annoy my husband.  So then I did something terrible.  I went to Pinterest and looked up "Craft Rooms" and "Play Rooms."  And of course 18,000,000,000 results that came up of designer rooms in their own wing designed to inspire and create and blah blah blah.  I was totally inspired by the space saving normal ideas where people put all of their crafts into a closet, so that's what I decided to do.  But since the spare room is already white, I really wanted to do something cool in there.  I thought about wallpaper for roughly 3 minutes before realizing that was stupid and then started searching "paint treatments."

I knew I had to repaint the closet since it was dirty and sad looking, so I went to Menards to pick up some plain white paint.  While there, I came across the Pittsburgh paints inspiration cards and lost my mind.  Suddenly I'm checking out and I have quarts of lime green, aqua, raspberry and something called baby pink and no idea what I'm going to do with it.  Then I stumbled upon this: http://www.thecluelessgirl.com/2013/10/diy-geometric-paint-glitter-wall.html and I thought to myself, YES!  GLITTER!  GEOMETRIC!  WHOO-HOO!  So that's what I did. 

Here's the closet before cleaning it.  Notice the rogue cat toy that the little person keeps leaving everywhere.

I used Frog Tape for Textured Walls.  It came with a glue stick like product that you used to seal the edges of the tape to get perfect lines.

Of course I didn't take a forward facing picture after the paint was all on and the tape was removed.  Why would I have remembered that?!  All of the lime green sections are the ones that are glittered.

Putting all my shelving up...all of the new hardware including the desk is from Ikea.

Starting to organize everything....

Ta-Da!  The final product!  I wish my camera was good enough to show how awesome the green glittered parts of the wall are.  They're just so awesome.   You can also see the littles art smock hanging up on her own tiny hook, as well as my 2 flamingo accents and new valances my Mom was awesome enough to make.

The whole project itself was easy.  I painted the closet white one day, then the next day while the littles was napping, I taped it all off and did the treatment on the tape and painted 2 coats of both pinks.  After she went to bed I did the blue and the green.  The next day I did the glitter.  I made mine super glittery by not only blowing the glitter onto the pieces, but by mixing a little bit of glitter in with the mod podge.  I also sealed the glitter with a layer of mod podge after I pulled the tape off.

My next project is creat
ing a marquee letter light box to put up in there to make it more play area and less craft room.  Right now we put in a toy organizer but that's it.  I have grand plans to create a whole little girl wonderland in there but we'll see how it goes.  In the meantime, the littles thinks it's the absolute best to sit on top of the desk and take all the paints out of the holder on the wall and try to open them.  Clearly she wants to express her creativity at only 16mo old and I have a little art genius on my hands!

Products Used:

Ikea Bygel rails: I used 1 of the super long ones, and 2 of the smaller ones and have 2 of the long ones left.  I have no concept of space. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30072646/

The baskets holding my paints/glitters/adhesives: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90072648/

Galvanized Tin storage bins (top of the closet) www.pickyourplum.com 

Paint Colors:
Precious Pink: light pink
Bleeding Heart: dark pink
Aqua Bay: aqua
Green Pear: lime green




No comments:

Post a Comment