Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer = Bugs

You'd think it would be in feline DNA to want to attack and kill bugs, and perhaps it is.   My cats could care less about any bug like creature.  They're completely immune to their erratic flight patterns, their creepy crawliness, and totally oblivious to the shrieking I do when one comes near me.  There are only a few bugs I'm really afraid of.  Moths, earwigs, and bugs with a lot of legs like centipedes or silverfish.  I don't particularly like spiders, but they don't generally cause the anxiety and fear that the aforementioned ones do.

At night before we go to bed, my husband and I sit on our deck.  Wanda and Mavis usually sit in the kitchen and stare at us through the door.  Occasionally there will be some flying menace that will hit the door and send both cats into chaos mode.  But, get one of those suckers in the house, and they're completely oblivious.  On Sunday Wanda chased a beam of light on the living room floor for 2 hours.  2 H O U R S.  But a bug?  A creature that doesn't belong in her domain....that's creepy crawling all over the floor?  Nope, totally cool with Wanda.  Mavis on the other hand is quite concerned about bugs, probably because she's concerned about everything.  There was a big ant in the basement the other day while I was doing laundry and Mavis looked at it, looked at me, looked at the ant, looked at me.  Back and forth as if to say to me "aren't you going to do something about that?  you realize that's a bug right?"  From time to time if a flyer has invaded our home, she will be active and will try to catch it, but those instances have been few and far between.  I like to think that we have an impenetrable force field around our house that prevents from all types of bugs from invading, but of course that's stupid.  We got cats because we wanted entertainment, not protection.  But I guess with all of the love I give the cats--feeding them, watering them, cleaning cat box, giving them tons of toys to play with, not to mention endless hours of lap time and pets that they could do something when a bug breaches our home.

Catching the bugs is a different story entirely when it comes to our two beasts.  They don't eat the bugs.  They just want to stun them to death.  Or play with them until they're half dead and trying to drag their battered bug bodies to somewhere safe.  It's gross.  I love our cats, but I'm so thankful to have my husband around to finish the job they start.

No comments:

Post a Comment